Re: Wine status

Dear Cesare, dear Ove,
Ove Kåven schrieb am 11.09.2011 14:56:
> Den 11. sep. 2011 13:44, skrev Cesare Leonardi:
>> In the recent past upstream site started to advertise this as Wine Debian
>> package: http://dev.carbon-project.org/debian/wine-unstable/

I had nothing to do with that, I actually wasn't even informed in advance and
just started to notice a lot more traffic on my site from one day to the other.

>> These are deb package that upgrades wine-unstable and that you have to
>> install with dpkg. In these days i've tested them and seem to work well.
>> The person that make them is Kai Wasserbäch, a Debian developer.

I know, that many, including some DDs, want me to provide a APT archive, but I'm
not really happy with that, as it might encourage people to use third party
packages without a second thought (like: Can I trust the provider?)

>> I'm really confused. Why doesn't Kay packages can't be the official Debian
>> packages?
>
> I suspect he always meant it to be temporary - letting users have
> *something*, even if the packages may not be perfect and may not even have
> been allowed into Debian at the time.

This. (It actually served as a place where I could make the builds, I used for
filing bugs, available to upstream; then it was named by winehq.org as the
primary source for Debian.) You might even read that on my page (e.g. [0] or
[1]) too. Though, of course, my blog is not mandatory reading. ;)

> He hasn't offered to be a comaintainer.

TBH I never intended to maintain Wine, though I'm doing this now, to some
extent, anyway. ;) I used Wine and, when I reported upstream bugs to upstream,
was asked to try the latest Git or release with some patches applied. Thus I
needed to build them and also make the builds available to the upstream devs.
(@Ove: I've already a multiarch-ready branch on my system which uses a
significantly simplified debian/rules. If you are interested in that, let me
know and I put it up somewhere.)

Kind regards,
Kai Wasserbäch

[0]