Re: Maintainers, porters, and burden of porting

Le Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 10:14:41PM +0200, Bernd Zeimetz a écrit :

> The mipsel port is used by the Lemote Notebooks/mini Desktops for example,
> which come pre-installed with Debian.  Not sure if they have popcon enabled
> at all. And I guess mipsel is more a target for Embedian. No idea about usage
> statistics there, though.

More comprehensively, Lemote sells computers with 共创Linux (Co-Create
Linux ?), Red Flag (红旗) Linux, Loonux or Debian.  Therefore, while reality is
probably not all black or all white, we need to consider, in addition to the
hypothesis that Debian is installed without Popcon, the hypothesis that people
do not run Debian on their Lemote computer (note the Firefox icon on the
laptop's screen at http://www.lemote.com/products/computer/yilong/9.html ).

Mips popcon score is 9, mipsel is 52, armel is 1223, amd64 is 44323 and i386 is
63725.  Of them, armel and amd64 are clearly growing, the others not.  This has
a meaning that can not be discarded.  By having mips(el) as release
architectures we definitely have a greater potential than others, but if there
is no proactive team working for making Debian adopted outside embedded
hardwares, it is not unlikely that the niche will be taken by another
distribution or a derivative.  See how Ubuntu is preparing its entrance on the
ARM market, for instance.  Just telling the maintainers to fix random packages
themselves on a porterbox is not enough, and that is why I do not feel like
spending time supporting packages on architectures unless there is evidence
that somebody will actually use these particular packages.

Charles

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan