Re: A few observations about systemd

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 05:09:11PM +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
Configuration file for the daemon is /etc/default/rsyslog:
The canonical configuration file for the rsyslog daemon is /etc/rsyslog.conf.

Yes, but it doesn’t allow you to change start options of the daemon itself.
include that via EnvironmentFile=/etc/foo/bar [1]. If it is avoidable, you shouldn't do that though, as /etc/default files are Debian specific and one aim of systemd is, that unit files are usable cross-distro.

I don’t know if files in /etc/default are Debian specific ones, but sometimes you need to change start parameters of the daemon. One example is sasldauth. If you have postfix in a chroot environemnt (standard Debian), you need to change the parameter for the named socket.

So you need a configuration file at least for certain daemons to change options for the daemon start.

A lot of those /etc/default files have a ENABLED=YES flags, which are not particularly useful with systemd, as systemd provides proper mechanisms to enable/disable services in a convenient way.

Well, that is fine. I often disable a service by putting a „exit 0” in its init script, if I don’t want to always run this service. But why are the unit files not configuration files to begin with like init scripts? In my eyes they all belong in /etc.

Shade and sweet water!

	Stephan

--
| Stephan Seitz             E-Mail: stse@fsing.rootsland.net |