Re: Minimal init

>>No, I don't think so.  If these external tools double fork then they
>>are just wrong.

> Double Forking has been the right way to do it for decades.

It has been the default way for most daemons, granted.  (Getty is
a notable exception.)

> Demanding from upstreams that they change their software this
> fundamentally to cater for a new init system is [...] unrealistic

Runit has been around for a decade or so.  Most daemons known to me have
a command-line flag that prevents forking.

Remember, preventing forking is about *removing* code from daemons, not
adding new code.  Adding a flag to avoid forking is a trivial exercice,
and it's a rare upstream that will refuse the usually trivial patch.

-- Juliusz