Re: [Lennart Poettering] Re: A few observations about systemd

> On Tue, 19 Jul 2011, Gergely Nagy wrote:
>> Thus, upstream has to jump through a large heap of hoops to support
>> systemd properly (and if not going for proper systemd support, making
>> use of its new features, I see no point in writing a service file to
>> begin with).
>
> Even if you use the good old init script with systemd, you do benefit
> from many of its new features like the fact that each daemon is using
> its own cgroup and that you can reliably kill it and all its childrens.

There are benefits, indeed. But once one wants to use all the power
systemd provides, that's going to be a much bigger task. Bigger than
having to maintain a sysvinit script and a simple & dumb systemd service
file.

Not to mention that users who customised their init scripts will
suddenly have to figure out how to do the same stuff with systemd - with
no automatic upgrade path.

For example, many programs on my system have a file in /etc/default,
which file is sourced by the init script. These customisation options
will need to be migrated to systemd aswell, which is yet another burden
on the Debian package maintainer.