Re: [Lennart Poettering] Re: A few observations about systemd

On Tue, 2011-07-19 at 20:51 +0000, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> Adam D. Barratt <adam <at> adam-barratt.org.uk> writes:
> > On Tue, 2011-07-19 at 19:48 +0000, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> >> There was a discussion about whether future Debian would be
> >> based on kFreeBSD, and kFreeBSD failed that on its own merits, not due to any
> >> consideration of systemd (or actually there wasn't much of a discussion, but
> >> that was only because kFreeBSD's failure was so obvious). Future Debian will
> >> not be based kFreeBSD, nor will it even be an important alternative.
> >
> > Please share more details of this discussion to which you refer.
[...]
> >From the part you already quoted: "or actually there wasn't much of a
> discussion, but that was only because kFreeBSD's failure was so obvious".

I wasn't going to reply to this (and may wish I hadn't), but...

Proof by assertion isn't an argument.  If you think kfreebsd sucks then
you're entitled to that opinion, but please don't seek to frame it as
some sort of consensus direction on the part of the project because
"it's obvious".

> You seem to interpret "Debian would be based on kFreeBSD" as "we have some official
> support for kFreeBSD", but that's not what I was talking about.
>
> I know there have been "official" Debian/kFreeBSD releases, but those make very
> little difference - someone published a set of files which were then ignored by
> about everyone.

fwiw, they're more official than the original amd64 release of Debian
was and "someone" here is the Debian project.  Squeeze released with
kfreebsd packages as part of the main archive, which is again more than
sarge did for amd64.  Yes, they're labelled as "technology previews",
but that doesn't make them unofficial, nor not part of the main archive.

>  I'm talking about what kernel people use when they use "Debian",
> and what platform development that creates the software in the distribution
> happens on. There's no plan to migrate from Linux to BSD kernel

That's somewhat of a straw man.  No-one's ever suggested that support
for Linux be dropped, so far as I'm aware.  There's no reason why we
can't at least try our best to support multiple kernels, so there's no
migration to plan or not plan for (and no, "systemd only supports Linux"
is not an argument against supporting other kernels).

Regards,

Adam