Re: A few observations about systemd

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011, Gergely Nagy <algernon@balabit.hu> wrote:
> The main issue I have with dropping kFreeBSD & HURD would be (apart from
> losing two platforms I use - even if for fun only; I don't want to use a
> distribution that doesn't allow me to have as much fun as I do now) that
> it leads down the path of dropping whatever a vocal upstream decides to
> don't care about.

I don't think that dropping an architecture is necessary, patching systemd
should be viable.

Sysvinit had a lot of patches in the Debian package that weren't included
upstream for a long time.  There's no reason why the same couldn't be done for
systemd.

It seems that cgroups is the main issue and systemd can already work without
them.

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011, Juliusz Chroboczek <jch@pps.jussieu.fr> wrote:
> > It's actually lighter than sysvinit, from what I've seen so far,
>
> $ size /sbin/init /bin/systemd
>    text    data     bss     dec     hex filename
>   30040    1320     612   31972    7ce4 /sbin/init
>  793691    6748    2188  802627   c3f43 /bin/systemd

I think that they meant lighter in terms of not running shell scripts for lots
of things.

A fast boot time is quite important for embedded systems.  I'm looking forward
to using systemd in a year or two for some embedded systems that I run.