Re: packages in sid depending on packages in experimental

On 07/03/2011 02:50 PM, Ralf Treinen wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Ralf

> is it an RC bug when a package in unstable depends on packages in
> eperimental (that is, can only be installed in unstable+experimental
> but not in unstable alone)? I always thought so, but when looking into
> policy I only found mention of dependencies crossing the bounderies of
> archive areas, which is an orthogonal issue.

Yes, it's an RC bug.

> I am asking since I am filing from time to time bug reports with
> severity=grave in case packages are not installable in sid on all
> architectures since an extended period of time (typically for at least
> 4 weeks) [1]. However, recently a maintainer of a package disagreed
> for a case where a dependency could have been satisfied from experimental
> [2]. How should I treat such cases in the future?  Should I lower the
> severity of the bug?

He does not seem to disagree as he tells it's fine to file an RC bug
blocking it from migrating to testing (though it would not migrate if
it's not installable in the first place, but making it obvious via a bug
report does not hurt IMHO).

Uploading it to experimental in the first place is not necessary. It's
not like packages in unstable are not allowed to have RC bugs.
Especially since up to now it's not possible to have a package migrate
from experimental to unstable without a new upload.

Cheers

Luk