Re: more about Zookeeper

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 8:26 PM, Ansgar Burchardt <ansgar@debian.org> wrote:

> [ CC'ed Thomas in case he is not subscribed to d-d ]
>
> Ted Dunning <ted.dunning@gmail.com> writes:
>> There has been a bit of talk about Apache Zookeeper recently by Thomas
>> Koch.  He has a bad opinion of Zookeeper and things it is "not good
>> enough for Debian".
>
> Could you please provide a reference?

How about this: http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2011/06/msg00316.html

You can look at his slides for buzzwords as well where he goes on for
over a dozen slides with what he feels are the grievous faults with
Zookeeper that led him to planning to orphan the package.

> It might also be worth pointing out that he has asked for help with
> maintaining the package.

Actually, not so much.

He announced that he was orphaning the package and then gave a public
talk running Zookeeper down in pretty emphatic terms (without
mentioning the fact that it is actually very stable).

> Redirecting someone interested in the Debian
> package there might help getting the package included in a stable
> release (it is not required to be a Debian developer to maintain
> packages in Debian).

That might be true.  I showed up of my own volition to try to unwind
misperceptions.  The reception was not very welcoming.