Re: Alioth status update, take 3

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 01:12:19PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 27 May 2011, Agustin Martin wrote:
> > Besides the problems I pointed out in my last mail, seems to be some
> > confusion for personal git repos. I see they were duplicated during
> > migration between wagner and vasks.
> > I even had a problem with one of my experimental repos which ended up
> > pushing to one box and pulling from the other.
>
> If you pull from git:// and push to ssh:// that can happen yes.[A
>
> Another reason why the repos are also needed on vasks, is that the
> symlinks in /git/users/ are created by the script
> /srv/git.debian.org/bin/genindex that runs on vasks (it needs write
> access).
>
> But all this is clearly sub-optimal, we need to find a solution. The only
> reasonable solution (except sharing home directories between both hosts)
> that I have identified is to stop storing those personal repositories in
> ~/public_git/ and put them directly in /git/users. The script on vasks
> could detect new ~/public_git/ directories and move them to /git/users/
> and create ~/public_git as symlink instead.  If the user want a
> ~/public_git symlink on wagner, he should do it himself (it's only
> required for the git url using /~$USER/ not for those with /users/$USER/).
>
> The backup rules could be modified to exclude /git/users/ if needed.
>
> How does that sound?

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for caring about this.

I am not too familiar with the internals of the new alioth setup, so I am
not realy aware of the pros and cons of every proposed way.

That said, your proposal of moving vasks repos under public_* to a new
location exported to wagner looks OK to me. Seems to be the lesser evil
and avoid adding yet another export.

I personally do not like other solutions that imply physical copying of data
across servers, like rsyncing public_* parts of home but, as said, this is
just an opinion with no deep knowledge of the system.

Yes, sharing home dirs is another option. This however may require per user
manual synchronization first, new stuff under public_* goes to vasks while
changes in the html stuff is done in wagner.

Regards,

--
Agustin