Re: distinguish between "core" and "main"?

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 at 08:29:03 +0200, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> All these APIs and dynamic libraries are meant to provide backward
> compatibility.

You're asking for forward compatibility, though: making applications in
testing/main limit themselves to only doing things which already worked in
stable/core, and avoiding relying on new features (or new bug fixes) from
testing/core.

In other words, we'd be artificially imposing the platform problem
<http://lwn.net/Articles/443531/>. It's hard enough to avoid that problem
*already*, we don't want more of it! Core libraries (and toolchains, and the
kernel) gain new features for a reason - to support better new versions of
applications.

(Backward compatibility is when an outdated application still works on
newer libraries/kernel/other underlying components, and in general we already
have that.)