Re: Link-time optimization in debian packages

* Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> [110606 01:15]:
> On Sun, Jun 05, 2011 at 01:18:43PM +0200, Emil Langrock wrote:
> > I played around a little bit with GCC's LTO [4]. It is really impressive for
> > this kind of applications. I had a size reduction and speed increase with the
> > tested applications. Of course, it was just a small testset and not really
> > scientific.
> >
> > Link time-optimization exchanges the meaning of flags slightly [5]. It is
> > currently necessary to provide the optimization related flags from
> > CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS also in LDFLAGS. Otherwise the LTO will not really to a
> > optimization step.
>
> > My question is now whether there are already plans to use LTO in Debian
> > packages, any big debian related studies, policies, release goals, ...?
>
> I'm afraid that it's not as simple.  Every package has to be changed on
> their own.  For a systemic solution it might be better to talk to autotools
> folks and their competition.

autotools give CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS to the linker, as in the past linkers
often needed -fPIC or -g to produce the right results.
(Only preprocessor flags are not passed (that's why -I and -D belong to
CPPFLAGS and not to CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS)).

	Bernhard R. Link