Re: distinguish between "core" and "main"?

Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:
> On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 2:54 PM, Harald Dunkel wrote:
>> On 06/04/11 07:56, Paul Wise wrote:

>>> Sounds like you are looking for backports.debian.org?

>> Backports for Squeeze contains just about 400 package,

> Hmm, I'm getting the impression that what you want is a
> squeeze-backports-auto suite that contains packages from testing like
> stable-backports but fully automatically built and with no QA by
> maintainers to ensure it builds/works on stable?

I still think this whole conversation is based on a false premise.  I
think the original request originated from a belief that there is some
separable part of "core" Debian which could be held stable, and that
keeping that portion stable while using testing packages for everything
else would improve the stability of the system.

I don't think either of those assumptions are true.  There is a *lot* of
entanglement between new packages and new libraries that goes deep into
what one would call "core," and the few things that are so stable that
they wouldn't require upgrading to support testing packages also hardly
change from release to release and are really unlikely to break in
testing.

In other words, yes, you can use stable tar on a system otherwise using
testing, but the chances of the testing version of tar being unstable are
very low.  I can see wanting to keep using a stable version of GTK+, but
then you're not going to be able to upgrade GNOME packages, which probably
includes some of the stuff one particularly wanted to upgrade.

In other words, just use testing.  It will be just as stable as this
constructed distribution, if not more so.