Re: distinguish between "core" and "main"?

Le dimanche 05 juin 2011 à 18:02 +0200, Harald Dunkel a écrit :
> I understand that splitting main into core/stable and
> main/testing would be a deep cut. Surely I do not expect it
> to happen within the next few weeks or months. Just think
> about it.

What you do not understand is how presumptuous and condescending it is
to come with vague ideas of new release schemes without any experience
of the problems behind, and tell people to “think about it”.

If the current release process doesn’t suit your needs, just tell us in
what ways. You’re not the first one, and a lot of us already “think
about it”. We might even be close to provide a solution to an entire
class of problems with the rolling release concept.

As you might have noticed in the discussion, the broad consensus among
developers is that splitting the distribution is not an option. Apart
from the core toolchain (and still, you will find some loose adherence
with it in various pieces of software), it is not possible to release a
part of the distribution separately. The kernel is tied to desktops,
desktops are tied to server components, server components are tied to
web frameworks, web applications are tied to interpreters and
interpreters are tied to desktop applications… there’s no end to it.
Those who split the distribution, like Ubuntu, only do it for levels of
support, not for release schedules.

Another broad consensus is that stopping to provide stable releases is
not an option either. If you want to propose an evolution in the release
process, you have to wonder how it affects stable releases too.

These are two good reasons why your idea, in its current state, is not
even remotely applicable. Now if you want to be listened to, you need to
talk with people familiar with these problems, come up with new ideas
and explain what problems they solve. It’s better than asking people to
“think about it”.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette