Re: distinguish between "core" and "main"?

On Sb, 04 iun 11, 10:12:42, Harald Dunkel wrote:

> I would prefer if Debian distinguishes between core and main instead.
> This means splitting the current main repository.
>
> In the new system the main/testing packages should be _guaranteed_
> to work together with the most recent core/stable packages. Of course
> they should also work together with core/testing, as they do now.
>
> Making this scheme work would imply more frequent releases for the core
> packages, but I am sure this can be done. I would expect that we would
> get <1000 core packages.
>
> Hopefully its OK if I post my ideas here? Actually this is about release
> management, not about development.

This is one of those recurrent discussions coming up on debian-devel. It
is my impression (as a lurker) that most Debian Developers do not want
to have second-class packages and it is a feature that all packages in
main get (more or less) the same treatment regarding release and
security support.

Maybe Ubuntu is a better fit for your needs?

Regards,
Andrei