Re: Behaviour of dpkg-source with "3.0 (quilt)" and VCS and automatic patches

Le Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 11:11:30AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow a écrit :

> apt-get source foo
> work on package
> debuild
> test
> # Optionally: Just to be nice and fill out the header
> # This would be improved by the --record-changes discussed earlier
> edit debian/patches/debian-changes-version
> reportbug -A debian/patches/debian-changes-version foo
> (upload NMU)

Hi Goswin,

this is how a change of a couple of characters become a much larger patch.  See
for instance the following, which I have received in #606004 (not a NMU).

http://launchpadlibrarian.net/60144486/samtools_0.1.12a-1_0.1.12a-1ubuntu1.diff.gz

64 lines of patch for one line changed in examples/Makefile…

I see that debcheckout now has a --source option with ‘auto’ as a default
value, to “retrieve the remaining parts of the source using apt-get source and
move the files into the checkout” when only the debian directory of a package
is managed in a VCS.  In parallel, the most used patch systems honor the Debian
Policy's §4.9 by providing a ‘patch’ target for debian/rules.  So for many
packages, there is actually a quite uniform entry point.

When working on actively maintained packages, I think that using debcheckout
and committing the changes is more efficient as a whole.

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,