Re: Behaviour of dpkg-source with "3.0 (quilt)" and VCS and automatic patches

On Wednesday, June 01, 2011 10:26:59 AM sean finney wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 01, 2011 at 02:39:42PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > And note that as maintainer or for the VCS copy you can allways
> > configure debian/soruce/local-options to unapply patches if you so
> > desire.
>
> This is something i've been doing quite happily and I think it is
> a pretty decent compromise for the user/maintainer use cases.
>
> If you're building from the VCS there may be a difference in behavior,
> but if you build a downloaded source package (or even a source package
> generated from the VCS), the behavior is consistant.

I tend to touch many packages and only revisit them infrequently so I don't
generally have a local copy of the package to have modified when I start work.
So for me the general workflow for using debian/source/local-options would be
something like:

download package/check out fom VCS
oh, this is V3
unapply patches
add debian/source/local-options
work on package
apply patches if needed
upload
rm -fr the package

debian/source/local-options doesn't really help me much  Not making the
package source format 3 on the other hand conveniently provides the workflow I
want in a persistent manner with no recurring effort needed.

Scott K