On 28/04/11 at 18:54 +0200, Mehdi Dogguy wrote:
> You want a constantly usable testing, but are you working these days on
> fixing RC bugs affecting testing? Don't get me wrong. I'm not
> finger-printing. I didn't find time to do that myself. But, if we all try
> to do that, things will be much more simpler (welcome in "bisounours" world).
>
> Last bits of the Release Team announced a perpetual 0-day NMU policy. I
> think that it's a good move to encourage contributors to fix more RC-bugs,
> even if we are not frozen (yet). I have the feeling that no-one read that
> announcement…
>
> [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2011/03/msg00016.html
>
> > Mine is that officially supporting testing means that more maintainers
> > will start to care about RC bugs in testing and will fix them sooner (i.e.
> > not wait for the freeze to do it).
> >

> We really don't need to wait for that to encourage contributors to care
> about RC bugs in testing. Zack did a great job with his “Release Critical
> Bugs of the Week” (RCBW) [2]. That's another great idea that could enhance
> testing's state. Why not start to fix RC-bugs today? until the next
> freeze! Why adding a new suite to force people to fix RC-bugs in testing?
> (Uh, yes… it's the pretty matches what you said, but expressed explicitely).
>
> [2] http://upsilon.cc/~zack/hacking/debian/rcbw/
>
> To summarize, You can start fixing RC-bugs that affect testing right now!
> What are you waiting for?

Interestingly, you seem to be confused about RC bugs. ;)

RC bugs are a metric of the number of important (not in the BTS severity
sense) bugs in the current state of the archive. It's easy to get to a
very low number of RC bugs and stay there: just don't change anything.
At this point of the release cycle, I don't think that we should care
much about RC bugs.  Instead, we should focus on finishing the important
transitions that we want to see done in the next release, and that will
generate more RC bugs. The sooner we get the big transitions done, the
sooner we can focus on fixing the remaining bugs.

- Lucas