Re: Request for testing: /run and initscripts

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 12:55:20PM +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 08:19:38PM +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
> > I think this should be fixed now; could you possibly try again
> > (you'll need a clean vserver environment that hasn't been upgraded
> > before).  The updated packages are at the same location as before.
>
> I've tried:
> * a copy of one that has seen no initscripts_2.88dsf-13.3 but was upgraded
>   since sarge
> * a freshly debootstrapped one
>
> Sadly, every time I get:
> fakerunlevel: open("/var/run/utmp"): No such file or directory

> guest environment detected: Migrating /var/run to /run
> guest environment detected: Migrating /var/lock to /run/lock
> guest environment detected: Not migrating in-use files in /dev/shm to /run/shm
> Processing triggers for man-db ...

This I really don't get.  There was no error reported, and we're using
this logic:

if [ ! -L /var/run ] && [ -d /var/run ]; then
    echo "guest environment detected: Migrating /var/run to /run"
    ( # Remove /run first, so all contents get moved
      rm -fr /run &&
      mv /var/run / &&
      ln -fs /run /var/run ) ||
      ( echo "Can't move /var/run to /run and replace with symlink; please fix manually."; exit 1 )
fi

If the symlink creation failed, you should have got an error message.
I tested this in a chroot environment, and it worked fine.  Does anyone
have any clue?  Is the logic not right in the subshell or something?

Thanks,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh