Re: Criterion of a good computer system; was Re: Back to technical discussion? Yes!

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011, peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
> > ... not all that complexity has to be exposed by default.
>
> Yes, needless complexity in an algorithm reduces efficiency
> in execution.  Needless complexity in an interface reduces
> efficiency in use.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/one-among-many/201104/fear-showering

Psychology Today has an amusing blog post about the benefits of simple and
intuitive interfaces.

Those people who aren't convinced by everyone else who calls for simple design
might take note of someone who's got a Ph.D in Psychology.

The cognitive issues related to debugging shower fixtures after a long airline
flight are probably quite similar to those that we experience when fixing a
network problem at a strange time of the night.  Sometimes it's even necessary
to fix a server after a flight but before having a shower.