Re: Shipping /bin/sh [Re: Moving bash from essential/required to important?]

On Fri, Apr 08, 2011 at 06:52:41PM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> We have the same problem with awk since ages. We should fix both
> problems together. Therefor I propose the following:

- An essential or pseudo-essential (dependency or pre-dependency from an
  essential package) may include a new maintainer script called
  "bootstrap" in its control.tar.
- This script must be executable and use /bin/sh as interpreter.
- The rules for essential packages must be fulfilled after this script
  was executed.
- It should be called by the bootstrap process after the initial unpack
  of the owning package or all packages in the essential set.
- It must be called outside of the new root, so it can assume that it
  can execute some essential commands.
- It must not access other scripts or executables in the new root.

For now two packages will get such a script:
- dash (setup of /bin/sh)
- base-files (setup of /usr/bin/awk)

The bootstrap process may work this:
- The data.tar of every package in the essential set is unpacked.
- The bootstrap scripts from the control.tar of every package in the
  essential set is extracted and executed.

Bastian

--
Prepare for tomorrow -- get ready.
		-- Edith Keeler, "The City On the Edge of Forever",