Re: MBF la-file-removal: links-not-existing-la

On Fri, 8 Apr 2011 12:39:46 +0200
Laurent Bigonville <bigon@debian.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm happy that somebody did this MBF, it was thinking about doing this
> for a long time but never had the time to really look at it.
>
> Some package have .la files that depends against not existing .la
> files. These can be found by looking at links-not-existing-la tag in
> aba script output.

Let's get the first phase of dependency_libs sorted out and then look
at which ones remain with links-not-existing-la. There's enough to do
right now with just the dependency_libs.

I'm not aware of any actual problems arising from links-not-existing-la
- do you have evidence that such .la files have caused build errors?

Yes, it's untidy to have dangling links but if the .la file is being
cleaned up to remove dependency_libs or removed entirely then the links
will be removed anyway, whether those links exist or not.

> I know that the release goal is to remove (almost) all .la files but
> shouldn't the severity of the bug filled against these package be
> raised?

I see no reason for a severity higher than 'normal'. This Release Goal
is about preventing problems in the future - currently, these packages
build correctly, the fix is trivial and should NMU's be required we
can deal with that later. There are probably quite a few QA packages
which will need attention as a result of this MBF. I'll take a look at
that part of the list after I've completed a few more phases.

Severity ping-pong won't get these bugs fixed any quicker. Despite
appearances, bug severity is not a good predictor of maintainer activity
levels across the entire archive outside of a release freeze.

--

Neil Williams