Re: Moving bash from essential/required to important?

]] Luca Capello

Hi,

| >       * do another mass bug filing on all packages that contain bash
| >         scripts that checkbashisms does not think contain any bashisms
|
| ...there is no point using #!/bin/bash when the script is
| POSIX-compliant, since the default #!/bin/sh on Debian (dash) is faster
| than bash.

There might very well be, such as upstream shipping scripts that are
written to work on both solaris and linux.  (Solaris's /bin/sh isn't
POSIX.)  Changing this to deviate from upstream would be silly, IMO.

Also, lots of scripts aren't speed-sensitive and people don't want to
think about whether something uses bashisms or not, so they use «#!
/bin/bash» to rather be safe than sorry.

(I think the whole «make bash optional» thing is pointless and a waste
of developer resources.  It makes embedded developers's lives slightly
easier at the cost of lots of manual checking, time I think would be
better spent fixing real bugs.)

Regards,
--
Tollef Fog Heen