Re: Proposed pre-depends addition: all multiarched libs -> multiarch-support

On Tue, Apr 05, 2011 at 11:25:44AM +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> Lintian error (and an ftpmaster REJECT) if debhelper compat 9 is set
> with no ${misc:PreDepends} set because that prevents the
> multiarch-support addition. A failure to convert ${misc:PreDepends} to
> multiarch-support would be a debhelper bug and seems quite unlikely -
> but worth checking at ftpmaster level, possibly.

There's no basis for making this an ftpmaster reject.  The archive-critical
check can be done by inspecting the binary packages only.

> Lintian error (and an ftpmaster REJECT) if a binary package (not just
> a library) has multiarch paths without debhelper compat 9. (This
> protects against uploading packages converted with tools like
> dpkg-cross -M -A (>= 2.6.3).)

Absolutely not.  Packages are not required to use debhelper compat 9 as a
prerequisite for multiarch, it's just the easiest way to get there *if*
you're using dh(1).

> That way, if multiarch-support is no longer needed as a Pre-Depends, the
> lintian error is still correct (but can be downgraded with only a
> change in lintian) and the rest of the archive packages need no further
> changes. The next package rebuild after we decide that
> multiarch-support becomes a no-op and ${misc:PreDepends} goes back to
> being the empty string automatically, via a change in debhelper.

That's the preferred way to do it, but there's no reason at all to penalize
maintainers with an archive reject for not using this preferred way.