Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> writes:
> On Sat, 2011-04-02 at 23:07 +0200, Bjørn Mork wrote:
>> Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> writes:
>> >
>> > I wonder what amount of features we are missing for network-manager to
>> > do the job; instead of rewriting a daemon from scratch,
>>
>> A daemon will never be able to replace ifupdown.
>
> ifupdown will never work correctly.

Point taken.  Sorry about the noise.

udevd has demonstrated that it is possible for a daemon to manage and
police all devices in a system, while still keeping the kernel as
"master of state".  You can actually restart udevd without having all
you disk devices removed and readded.  Of course.

So a daemon could do the job.  NM, however, can not.

I believe the problems with NM is best described by it's current list of
bugs, and in particular by the maintainer responses to bugs like
#415196.  NM can probably be used for really simple desktop setups, but
it is not suitable for any non-desktop setup or any non-trivial
networking.

Bjørn