Re: potential MBF: first alternate depends not available in main

"Bernhard R. Link" <brlink@debian.org> writes:

> * Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de> [110317 22:10]:
>> My metric here is clearly the functionality for the user.
>
> Being able to modify it or get help with the package (which needs
> people being able and willing to look at the source and fix problems)
> is a very important part of functionality of the user.

Frankly most users don't think ahead like that. They just want it to
work. If it works they are happy. Unrar-free doesn't work, non-free
unrar works. And as long as it works they really don't care.

And as long as it works I see no reason why a maintainer should not be
allowed to put the non-free dep first in alternatives if there is a good
reason. Like say: In 10+ years I have never ever seen a single rar file
unrar-free could unpack but thousands that needed unrar/rar.

MfG
        Goswin