Re: cdn.debian.net as a project service?

On Fri, 2011-03-11 at 00:11 +0100, Adam Borowski wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 05:12:08PM +0000, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> > I like the idea of having apt choose the mirror, rather than the admins
> > of cdn.debian.net. It lessens the centralization. Also, it would require
> > fewer changes from mirror admins to participate.
>
> What do you propose apt to do?
>
> * runtime tests: costly and bogus (see below)
> * geolocation: you'd need an external service to tell your routable IP, and
>   after that additional step you're no better off than what cdn can do
[...]

Yes, you are better off.  If we rely on GeoIP at the DNS level and a
user's recursive DNS server is far away from them then we may pick the
wrong mirror.  But if we do it through a redirection or indirection at
the HTTP level, then we will pick the right one.  If they are using an
HTTP proxy far away from them, they will surely be using the same proxy
to fetch the files they wanted, so a mirror close to the proxy is the
right answer.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings