Re: Pre-Depends: dpkg (>= 1.15.7.2) for dpkg-maintscript-helper okay?

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 20:55, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
>> What apt, aptitude do:
>
>>   I don't know.  Do they allow an already satisfied Pre-Depends to
>>   complicate the upgrade path?  IIRC dpkg, as an essential package,
>>   always gets upgraded first anyway, but I am not so familiar with this
>>   code.

To get that straight:
It could complicate the installation: Without the Pre-Depends on dpkg
it can be in any state, if you depend on it it needs to be fully configured.

This is a huge difference every time you want to upgrade package A and
dpkg at the same time. Without the Pre-Depends an unpack/configure order
problem doesn't exist as they have no connection. Add the Pre-Depends and
you have to make sure to not unpack dpkg before configuring A - or the other
way around. Will be fun in case of dependency loops.
Beside that it is easy to generate "interesting" trees with it like #610991.

That said, as dpkg is essential it gets a preferred handling anyway in APT
(and friends) and will be unpacked/configured before non-essentials, so in
this specific case its more or less a no-op (in squeeze -> wheezy upgrade),
but that shouldn't give a bye in general…

Best regards

David Kalnischkies