Re: GNOME 3 and panel applets

On Mon, 2011-02-14 at 18:17 +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> If you develop, maintain or use one of those packages, and you don’t
> want it to disappear, your options are now:
>
>      1. Prepare to disable gnome-panel support (that’s for packages
>         which already have other options, such as using the notification
>         area).
>      2. If meaningful (it depends on the applet), switch to another
>         technology such as libappindicator or the notification area.
>      3. Port your applet to GTK3 and the new D-Bus API. The bindings for
>         Python and C# will probably not work either, so you might have
>         to start with them.
>      4. Step up and do the work to add support for bonobo applets in the
>         panel.
>
> Option 4 is the only way to keep all applets with low maintenance in
> Debian. It should be possible by developing a gateway D-Bus service that
> loads a bonobo applet in a process separate from the panel and proxies
> signals through it. If you are interested, please get in touch with
> upstream. If no one is interested, a large portion of the following list
> is going to leave the archive.

Another option which may or may not be suitable (depending on the real
support) is xfce4-xfapplet-plugin which is an xfce4-panel plugin
enabling loading of gnome panel applets.

I'm not even sure it'll still work (the applets still need to be built
against gnome panel for example) and xfapplet plugin isn't really
maintained upstream either but in case someone has interest in this
it /might/ be a solution for someone motivated to keep a gnome-panel
alternative.

Regards,
--
Yves-Alexis