Re: Disable ZeroConf: how to ?

On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 08:48:07PM +0100, Adam Borowski wrote:
> And why does it open this security hole?  To make it slightly easier to
> configure link-local instant messages.  Who exactly is going to need that
> these days?  The times of local networks disconnected from the world are
> mostly over.  You have some non-networked machines here and there, but if
> there's a network of some kind, it almost always is globally connected.
> These few places that do have airwalled networks definitely don't want to
> run link-local chat...

"If there's a network of some kind".  What about ad-hoc connections between
two or more laptops / tablets / mobile devices?  The hardware supports this
mode of operation just fine; shouldn't our software as well?  I shouldn't
need to carry an AP with me, or send all my traffic to a telco, or use a
sneakernet, to share files with you when we're in the same room.

All of these devices need to be proofed against hostile networks /in
general/; advertising services on such a network is a pretty small risk in
comparison to the risk of connecting to an untrusted network in the first
place.