Re: Disable ZeroConf: how to ?

On Fri, 2011-03-04 at 10:31 +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 11:02:47AM +0100, Klaus Ethgen wrote:
> > Hi,

> > [...]
> > > Actually I absolutely love the <machine>.local resolution
> > > functionality on a network (it works much better than the NetBIOS
> > > crap that can never find another machine on a network when you want
> > > it). That, and Pidgin's Bonjour support interfaces with iChat over
> > > zeroconf, allowing you to chat with users (and exchange files,
> > > perhaps?) across a network without needing to set up a centralized
> > > chatting system.
> >
> > The thoughts of that makes me shiver!
>
> Me too, but not in all cases.
>
> There are two generic types of computing environments. For lack of a
> better name, I'll call them the environment of the home user, and that
> of the corporate user, though it's not entirely accurate. Unfortunately,
> their requirements conflict somewhat.
>
> For a corporate user, security is more important than convenience.
[...]

This is nonsense.  Corporate users need to get stuff done.  To the
extent that an IT department issues security policy that get in the way
of that, the IT department is undermining the company and will be
ignored.  Thankfully, security rarely needs to conflict with
convenience.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings