Re: enable/disable flags in /etc/default

Drake Wilson writes ("Re: enable/disable flags in /etc/default"):
> Quoth Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com>, on 2011-03-02 17:00:19 -0700:
> > Having daemons started automatically at installation time is a very
> > nice feature of Debian IMNHO.
>
> Is there any harder data on which behavior various proportions or
> segments of the Debian user populace expect here?

Do we really need to know ?  That information seems mostly relevant
for choosing the default, and changing our default would be quite a
big cultural step (and have pretty far-reaching implications) which I
don't think we should take.

It is clear that we need to be be able to change the default for new
services systemwide, and that we need the ability to set that at
install time and have it affect all the installed software for a fresh
install.  We need to invent mechanisms for that.

Ian.