Re: enable/disable flags in /etc/default

]] Drake Wilson

| (Sorry for the duplicate, Bob; forgot to send to list first time.)
|
| Quoth Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com>, on 2011-03-02 17:00:19 -0700:
| > Having daemons started automatically at installation time is a very
| > nice feature of Debian IMNHO.
|
| Is there any harder data on which behavior various proportions or
| segments of the Debian user populace expect here?

I don't have hard data, but I see a fair amount of ops people complain
about this feature in Debian.  I believe it's impossible to write a
policy-rc.d implementation that denies running the daemon on initial
installation (but not on upgrades).

The use case for this is:

- install daemon
- install configuration using puppet/chef/cfengine/etc
- start daemon or hook daemon into tool that keeps it running (monit,
  god, etc)

(FWIW, I like starting daemons on installation too, but I can see why
people want the option not to).

--
Tollef Fog Heen