Re: enable/disable flags in /etc/default

Stig Sandbeck Mathisen <ssm@debian.org> writes:

> There are two issues here.

> The "short term" issue is figuring out if the current practice of
> DONT_DISABLE_ENABLEMENT=false and friends in /etc/default is something
> we want to keep doing.

> The "long term" issue is having a toolset, for the end user, for
> starting and stopping services, enabling and disabling services when
> booting, installing and upgrading, and setting a global policy for what
> the initial status of an installed service should be.

Speaking as someone who has a few of the DONT_NOT_DISABLE_SERVICE
variables in some of my packages, I think you have the order reversed
here.  I agree that those settings are horrible, but as horrible as they
are, they're less weird than our current user interface for disabling init
scripts.  (Users have at least a hope of finding it, which is not really
true in my experience of the init method at present.)  I'm therefore not
inclined to remove them until we provide a non-horrible user interface
that can really replace them.

Once there's a good general solution, I'll be happy to remove any
package-specific hacks in favor of taking advantage of it.

> What I'd like to be able to do, is to set a policy after system install,
> and have all packages _obey_ this policy. :)

Yup, I think that's the right order.  :)