Re: Are circular dependencies inside a source package OK?

Le dimanche 27 février 2011 16:31:29, Lucas Nussbaum a écrit :
> But then, we have a problem, because:
> - ruby-foo need one of (ruby1.8-foo, ruby1.9.1-foo, jruby-foo,
>   rubinius-foo) installed to work correctly

ok

> - ruby1.8-foo, ruby1.9.1-foo, jruby-foo, rubinius-foo need ruby-foo
>   installed

Correct me if I'm wrong, but ruby1.8-foo, ruby1.9.1-foo, jruby-foo are not
broken without ruby-foo, they're just useless. So this may be interpreted as
not being a dependency.

Moreover, I have the impression that any ruby package needing foo
*functionality* will depend on ruby-foo and not on any arch/interpreter
specific package. In this case the dependency between ruby1.8-foo, ruby1.9.1-
foo, jruby-foo, rubinius-foo will probably never be actually used ..

Thoughts ?

HTH

Dominique
--