Re: [buildd-tools-devel] re buildd's resolver and package's build deps

Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org> writes:

> I'm still not sure how 'Build-Depends: foo [i386] | bar [amd64]'
> would make sense (as opposed to making it an 'and').

They're equivalent, so I would view it as intended for human readers, not
for computers.

In other words, I see a Build-Depends of:

    foo [i386] | bar [amd64]

as saying "there's some part of the build that uses foo on i386, bar on
amd64, and handles it internal to the package on other architectures,"
whereas a Build-Depends of:

    foo [i386], bar [amd64]

I'd read as "there's a feature enabled on i386 that requires foo, and a
separate feature enabled on amd64 that requires bar."

In the end, it both reduces to the same thing, but it helps human readers
figure out how the dependencies are related.