Re: Upcoming FTPMaster meeting

Le Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 12:42:57PM +0100, Bernhard R. Link a écrit :
> Porters trying to fix your crappy non-portable software

> Allowing things to build in a non-artificial environment is simply an
> important part of being a good free software citizen.

> we should try to do our best and not just give up early.

I am very disoriented by your disagreement as I have the impression that nobody
proposed that failures to build on non-minimal environments should be taken
less seriously as they are now.

More and more developers use a chroot for the package they upload. This does
not mean that they do not try to build it on non-artificial environments before
that final step.

What we probably miss is the local build logs from the package preparation.
More and more packages are stored in a VCS. Recently, I have started to store
build logs in a branch of the packages I maintain with Git. Is there an interest
for standarisation ?

In the context of this discussion, the advantage of having the local build logs
stored somewhere is that we would be able to know how many developers upload
packages built in a chroot.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy