Re: The "node" command in Debian

On Mon, Feb 07, 2011 at 03:43:48PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh writes ("Re: The "node" command in Debian"):
> > 1. they can declare a conflict with each other, so that the packaging
> >    system will never let both get installed in the same system.
>
> No, this is explicitly forbidden by policy and quite rightly so.

What Policy actually says is (§10.1):

  Two different packages must not install programs with different
  functionality but with the same filenames.

The definition of "filename" here is unclear.  AX.25's node is in
/usr/sbin (IIRC) and nodejs's is in /usr/bin.  This, of course, poses
practical problems for people that have both in their path.  This is
usually the case for root, and for some users as well.

Lacking an official definition for "filename" in Policy, I think it's
reasonable to assume that it should not be read as "path", and instead
be read to forbid this use (as you said, Ian).  Nevertheless, I see how
reasonable people could disagree.