Re: Branching changelogs or not

On Sun, Feb 06 2011, Andreas Tille wrote:

>   2. Whether upstream changelogs should be copied fully or in
>      parts copied into Debian changelog and I think the New
>      maintainers guide[3] gives a clear answer to mention only
>      the changes of this *new* release specifically if these are
>      closing known bugs in Debian and not just random features
>      of the new release and definitely not changes of old
>      releases.

        My take on this has been that we should do what is most
 important for the users: The changelog can be presented to the users on
 upgrade, and when users chose to see it, and in those cases the users
 arepresented with an option to abort the upgrade. The other audience
 for the changelog entry us people looking into it in /usr/doc, and
 perhaps fr dignificant changes or feature addtions; and lastly, the
 future maintainers.

        I would suggest we copy over from the upstream changelog any
 information that might be relevant to the users; and that does mean
 major features and significant changes, specifically backwards
 incompatible changes.

        So I tend to favour a changelog by changelog decision, not a
 hard ruling one way or the other.

> [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-med/2011/02/msg00048.html
> [2] http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ch-update.en.html#s-newupstream
> [3] http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2010/12/msg01054.html

        manoj
 almost through the long tunnel with the legal department
--
Comedy, like Medicine, was never meant to be practiced by the general
public.