Re: does aptitude really need to lock the status database when downloading?

Stanislav Maslovski <stanislav.maslovski@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Feb 04, 2011 at 10:00:40AM +0100, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 9:57 AM, Stanislav Maslovski
>> <stanislav.maslovski@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > This is possible, however, it is an extra busy work for a user. In any
>> > case, I think that holding a lock only for downloading is an overkill
>> > and this can be relaxed.
>>
>> What if you would launch two download-only ops at the same time?
>> Isn't a lock needed in that case as well?
>
> That should a different lock. Currently, when _dowloading_ aptitude
> holds a lock that prevents _installing_.

It also needs to hold apt and synaptic from downloading, at least from
downloading the same file. The dpkg lock is universally used so that
works (too well). A change to per file locks would need some carefull
coordination.

MfG
        Goswin