Re: Upcoming FTPMaster meeting

Philipp Kern <trash@philkern.de> writes:

> On 2011-02-03, Joerg Jaspert <joerg@ganneff.de> wrote:
>> * Leaf packages. that is, the possibility of having small packages in
>>   the archive, without bloating the packages files as a "full package"
>>   would. Somehow, less information stored for them. Like only "Package",
>>   "Installed-Size", "Version", "FileName", "Size", "Sha1Sum" and one new
>>   "mainpackage:" which is simply the package name of the "full
>>   package". maybe a one-line description entry, but thats it.
>>
>>   Tools like apt then take all the other missing information, including
>>   the long desc, from the mainpackage, and voila we get the possibility
>>   to have something like foo-config-blabla and foo-config-blubber
>>   without much bloat. (this will need design work done now but we won't
>>   be able to use it before wheezy or wheezy+1)
>
> Which would mean stripping Depends and doing indirection.  What about,
> instead, dropping two of the checksums and refering to the Description
> in another file which is planned for translations of them anyway?
> (I.e. refer by hash.)
>
> Would that already help quite a bit?  The description and the hashsums
> probably contain a tad more entropy than the other bits and could
> already help quite a bit.
>
> (But then you're of course still bloating one Package file per arch and
> there's no compression to help here.)
>
> Kind regards
> Philipp Kern

You also often have

 foo is bla blubber blub
 long description of what foo is in general
 .
 This package contains the config files for foo.
 Some specific detail of this package.

It would be nice to have the general stanza just once. Combine that with
using hashes to lookup the description in the translation files and you
could have this:

Package: foo-config
Version: 1.2-3
Architecture: amd64
Depends: foo, bla
Description-Hash: 0123abcd, 456789ef

0123abcd would index the generic stanza and 456789ef the specific one.

MfG
        Goswin