Re: tcl8.5 breaks dpkg-cross assumptions and multiarch

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 12:50:48 +0100
Loïc Minier <loic.minier@linaro.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 01, 2011, Wookey wrote:
> > But if something is looking for arch-independent stuff in /lib then in
> > general that's wrong, and I'm not aware of any examples of
> > correctly-packaged packages that need this. Any arch-independent files
> > will be supplied by an arch all package that the build should depend
> > on if needed.
>
>  I might be getting your point wrong, but I certainly see a lot of files
>  in /lib itself which are arch-independent data used for early boot
>  (before /usr is available); PNG files and text files which would be
>  identical on all architectures.

/lib vs /usr/lib is a different argument.

I'm working on the basis that Wookey was meaning /usr/lib/ compared
to /usr/share.

The point about dpkg-cross is that it doesn't blindly take everything
from /usr/lib and propagate that into /usr/$triplet/lib, it picks out
stuff that it knows is useful to a cross package. Symlinks are included
because there's no need to copy libfoo.so.0.0.1 as libfoo.so.0 etc.

There's a complex list of regular expressions, allowing header files,
static linking files, object files, .la files, anything in /usr/include/
and stuff in /usr/lib/pkg-config/ and stuff already
under /usr/<host>/lib/.

This list has aggregated over time. As multiarch is as far away as
ever, I will discuss pruning that list significantly once Squeeze is
released, leading to a dpkg-cross 3.0.0. The final list will only
include stuff which dpkg-cross can reliably identify *and* which is
absolutely essential to cross-builds. /usr/share won't be included,
except for pkg-config files.

--

Neil Williams