Re: Upstream "stable" branches and Debian freeze

On 2011-02-01, Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> This argument seems very absolutist and would seem to suggest we
> should never do any stable release updates at all.  But a user who
> wants that level of stability can simply not take the stable release
> updates, and only apply the security updates.

That's not easily possible as stable as found on the mirrors is overriden
by point releases.[1]  So you'd need to mirror stable r0.

> I think there is room for us relaxing our policy for stable updates.
> Where upstream have a good track record of not breaking their own
> stable branch, I think providing those updates to our users is
> probably sensible.

First off they have to establish that track record with us, though.

(See also [2].  There will be a few updates to leaf packages in stable.
However updates to stable server software will be considered carefully,
and it depends on how we're convinced of the QA of maintainers and the
quality of upstream releases.  PostgreSQL did that[3].  For others we'll
act on a case-by-case basis.)

Kind regards
Philipp Kern

[1] Ubuntu does it a tad differently.  On normal releases their release suite
    isn't updated.  Instead updates are just pushed through the -updates suite.
    So here you're free to ignore those.  LTS do point releases like we do,
    though.
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-volatile-announce/2011/msg00000.html
[3] And they better don't screw up...