Re: Safe file update library ready (sort of)

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 06:14:42PM +0100, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 5:36 PM, Hendrik Sattler
> <post@hendrik-sattler.de> wrote:
> > BTW: KDE4 is a very good example for failure with modern filesystems. I
> > regularly loose configuration files when suspend-to-ram fails even if the
> > configuration of the running programs were not changed. Yay :-( And this is
> > with XFS, not Ext4! Filed a bug a looooooong time ago in KDE BTS. Reaction:
> > none!
>
> Maybe complain to the Linux kernel people instead.

It won't be just XFS or ext4, but any file system except ext3 (which
has performance problems specifically *because* of an implementation
detail accidentally provided this feature you like), and I think what
you'll find is that most Linux kernel developers will tell you is that
it's a bug in the application.

If you don't like that answer, you'll find that it's true for any
other OS (i.e., BSD, OpenSolaris, etc.)  --- so either KDE needs to
get with the program, or find its users gradually switching to other
windowing systems that have sanely written libraries.

						- Ted

P.S.  There is a kernel options that provide improved ext3
performance, to wit, CONFIG_EXT3_DEFAULTS_TO_ORDERED=no, which will
also mean that you had better use fsync() if you want files pushed out
to disk.  So strictly speaking, it's not even true that KDE4 is
guaranteed to be safe if you use ext3.