Re: Why is help so hard to find?

On Sat, 2011-01-15 at 13:07 +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Sb, 15 ian 11, 10:10:04, Chris Carr wrote:
> >
> > Is there some forum in which the choice of a default for a package or
> > service gets made? I subscribe to debian-devel and debian-policy, but
> > neither seems to contain discussions about the risks of replacing
> > perfectly good defaults with significantly flawed ones.
>
> "replacing perfectly good defaults with significantly flawed ones"
> implies the respective maintainers are evil and trying to break your
> system on purpose. You surely don't mean that, do you?

Certainly not. There was an exchange in this thread about the pros and
cons of insserv during which it was acknowledged that there are some
significant issues with insserv. The previous paradigm may have been a
"pain in the rear", but from the perspective of some proportion of users
it was perfectly good. My assumption is that the issues with insserv
were known before the decision to roll it out in Testing was made - my
curiosity is about where those discussions took place.

> BTW, I was quite aware that the mentioned changes are about to happen. I
> also subscribe to debian-devel-announce.

I am more interested in the discussions which precede the announcement,
but thank you for the advice. Thanks also to Lars and Jonathan for their
helpful responses.

CC