Re: Why is help so hard to find?

On Fri January 14 2011 16:07:58 Russ Allbery wrote:
> Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net> writes:
> > I've yet to find a single system which upgraded to insserv cleanly.
> > This is mostly due to removed packages which need fully purging to
> > remove the last traces of old init scripts which break the process.
>
> Huh.  Every system I've upgraded had no problems.  What is the failure
> mode?  What happens on those systems?

FWIW, roughly one third of our test systems "failed to upgrade" for this
reason.  It's not really a failure.  sysv-rc.postinst simply says

 Tests have determined that problems in the boot system exist which
 prevent migration to dependency-based boot sequencing:
 .
 ${PROBLEMATIC}
 .
 If the reported problem is a local modification, it needs to be fixed
 manually. If it's a bug in the package, it should be reported to the
 BTS and fixed in the package. See
 http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts/DependencyBasedBoot for more
 information about how to fix the problems preventing migration.
 .
 To reattempt the migration process after the problems have been
 fixed, run "dpkg-reconfigure sysv-rc".

We regard those systems as the lucky ones as they kept the reliable
legacy boot mechanism.

--Mike Bird