Re: Forwarding bugs upstream

On 01/12/2011 12:52 AM, Nikita V. Youshchenko wrote:
I understand that maintainers' time is limited and that forwarding bugs
is not an enjoyable task.  But I also understand that having a BTS
account for the upstream BTS of each of the 2405 packages I have
installed on my laptop (not to mention my other machines) is simply not
practical.  I also don't have the benefit of the rapport that a
maintainer has with upstream and knowledge of upstream practices.

Upstream tend to request users to install latest and greatest versions,
often for source or using other unsafe methods. Not only for package in
question but also for explicit and implicit dependences. Non-technical
follow these broken advices and break their systems. And then complain
that Debian is problematic for them.

Not all upstreams are like that, but I think that brings to the front an important point: there are vast differences in users, in upstreams, and in maintainers.

So let's run out your scenario a bit: upstream asks user to test with upstream version X. Bug isn't reproducible by maintainer. Does the maintainer now have to provide user with binaries? This gets complicated when packaging isn't ready for the version in question, when the user has an arch the maintainer doesn't, etc.

-- John