Re: Safe file update library ready (sort of)

On Mon, Jan 03, 2011 at 12:43:24PM +0200, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've promised to get a library out there, and here it is. The base
> URL is https://github.com/Shachar/safewrite, and the actual code is
> at https://github.com/Shachar/safewrite/blob/master/safewrite.c
[...]

> Give my code a second look and see whether there is anything I have
> missed.

There's a race condition:

while [ 1 ]; do ln -s /etc/passwd somefile.tmp; done
"Hey root, could you please use this program using libsafewrite on
'somefile'?"

--
1KB		// Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
		//	Never attribute to stupidity what can be