Re: ITP: yade -- Platform for discrete element modeling.

Hi,

Discrete element method is the numerical method of modelling a large
number of particles, their stresses and displacements. It can be used
as for granular material simulating as well as solid materials (rocks,
concrete etc.).

I think wikipedia explains better, than me:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrete_element_method

"A discrete element method (DEM), also called a distinct element
method is any of family of numerical methods for computing the motion
of a large number of particles of micrometre-scale size and above.
Though DEM is very closely related to molecular dynamics, the method
is generally distinguished by its inclusion of rotational
degrees-of-freedom as well as stateful contact and often complicated
geometries (including polyhedra). With advances in computing power and
numerical algorithms for nearest neighbor sorting, it has become
possible to numerically simulate millions of particles on a single
processor. Today DEM is becoming widely accepted as an effective
method of addressing engineering problems in granular and
discontinuous materials, especially in granular flows, powder
mechanics, and rock mechanics."

The YADE is mostly developed and used in universities and scientific
laboratories in France, Great Britain, Czech Republic, Russia...
Developers are PHD-students, Post-docs and scientists.

Anton