Packaging LetoDMS (mydms)

Hello all,

I am trying to package the new upstream version of mydms [1].
This Debian package is removed from the archive, and it won't
be present in Squeeze [2].

The upstream package is renamed to letodms [3]. Last versions
have a lot of changes (database, code) and improvements.

I'm not sure if it is better to rename the package, creating a
dummy transitional package (mydms) with the new package letodms.
Or maybe, as the old mydms is removed from archive, just doing as a
new package, and upload it with an ITP.

In case of rename the package, maybe it could be needed to keep
some paths (user data in /var/lib/mydms must remain, instead
/var/lib/letodms), and Apache config to be compatible with old instances
of mydms (for example, the old URL http://<server>/mydms must kept,
maybe add the new http://<server>/letomds).
The old mysql database name, named mydms, must be ketp to in new
package to compatibilize with old instances of mydms.

Maybe, the best way to rename the package is doing it with a new
Debian revision with no database changes (on the same upstream
version), and later package new upstream versions with database
changes (db is managed with dbconfig-common).
But, I am not sure if keep old /var/lib/mydms (for mydms upgrades)
and create /var/lib/letodms (for new installs) is a good idea
(it isn't).

I would like to know what do you think about these points.
Thank you.

Regards,
Francisco

[1] http://packages.qa.debian.org/m/mydms.html